This design for the renovation and modernization of a 1920’s high school transformed classrooms into one-bedroom living units and support facilities for seniors. In recognition of the school’s historic value, a portion of the original lockers in each corridor were restored, and the main corridor lockers were removed to create small lounges. Public areas of the building include The Wiley H. Bates Museum that focuses on the history of the school and Mr. Bates. The existing theater space was restored and repurposed into offices and multi-purpose community space. Exterior renovation included a new parking lot layout that provides accessibility for those with disabilities. The doors and windows were renovated to meet the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Historic Buildings.
We’re always interested in discussing new business relationships and sustainable community focused architecture